A capital campaign is a fundraising effort by a nonprofit organization to raise significant dollars for a specific project during a specific period of time.
Often the money raised is to fund the acquisition, construction, or renovation of a building. Sometimes, capital campaigns are used to build an endowment for the future. In other cases, capital campaigns fund an extraordinary expenditure such as an expensive piece of equipment.
Essential ingredients for a successful capital campaign are:
- A compelling case for support;
- A clear justification of the organization’s needs;
- Sufficient donor and volunteer prospects within the organization’s constituencies;
- Effective and inspirational leaders;
- Adequate resources to carry out the campaign, such as staff, funds, facilities and technology; and
- A strategy for implementation.